Stuffed Pasta Shells
These stuffed pasta shells are a yummy favorite. Both the marinara sauce and the filling can be made ahead to speed up meal preparation. Leftovers keep nicely in the refrigerator and longer in the freezer.
Servings: 4 servings
- 5 qt water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lime juice from
- 6 oz jumbo pasta shells 1/2 box Barilla jumbo shells, about 22
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 9 oz ricotta cheese
- 6 1/2 oz mozzarella cheese grated, divided 5 and 1 1/2
- 1 1/2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or parmesan, divided 1 and 1/2
- 2 Tbsp basil
- 1 Tbsp parsley plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 oz sun-dried tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Easy Peasy No-Cook Marinara Sauce must be thin, divided in half
- 1 5.5-oz can Tomato juice like V8, to thin marinara sauce, if necessary
- Unless the marinara sauce was made in advance, start by making the marinara sauce to allow enough time for the dry herbs to hydrate and spread their flavor.
- To prepare the pasta, add 5 quarts of water, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 bay leaves and juice of one lime to a 12 quart stock pot and bring to a boil.
- When the water is boiling add jumbo pasta shells and cook for 9 minutes.
- When shells are done drain in a colander and turn open side down on a baking sheet to dry. Be sure to reserving one cup of pasta liquid in case the marinara sauce needs to be thinned.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a skillet and heat on medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until just before the oil begins smoking. Add the garlic and sauté until slightly brown, about 1 minute.
- Add ricotta, mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano, basil, parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and extra virgin olive oil mixture, salt, and pepper to a 2 quart mixing bowl and combine thoroughly. The mixture will be a bit thicker than cottage cheese.
- Cover bottom of 13 x 9 x 2 glass baking dish with half of the marinara sauce.
- Using a tablespoon stuff each shell with 1 to 1/2 tablespoons of filling, angling the stuffed shells in a 3 by 7 pattern. Squeeze the extra pasta shell where it best fits.
- Spoon the remaining marinara sauce between the shells as much as possible. Sprinkle with mozzarella set aside earlier and bake for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with Parmigiana-Reggiano set aside earlier and parsley sprigs, and serve.
Calories: 555kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 2706mg | Potassium: 1123mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 29.6% | Vitamin C: 25.7% | Calcium: 57.6% | Iron: 21%
Stuffed Pasta Shells
Amount Per Serving
Calories 555 Calories from Fat 234
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26g 40%
Saturated Fat 13g 65%
Cholesterol 76mg 25%
Sodium 2706mg 113%
Potassium 1123mg 32%
Total Carbohydrates 52g 17%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Protein 30g 60%
Vitamin A 29.6%
Vitamin C 25.7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.